In any organization, defining roles and access levels is crucial for managing user functions and controlling permissions. Day.io provides a Permissions feature that allows you to create employee hierarchies and access levels. This guide will walk you through the process of configuring permission levels.
Step 1: Configuring Permission Levels
To configure permission levels, follow these steps:
Log in to Day.io with an account that has Owner, Administrator, or permission with Manage Permissions access.
Access the "Settings" option in the upper-right menu.
You will see a list of available Permission Levels. You can create a new custom level modify or delete existing levels.
The default levels include:
When you open the details of each permission level, you will find a list of sections in the platform. Click on these sections to Activate or Deactivate access for the permission level you are editing.
- Owner has full access to all sections, and it is advisable that only one person has this level.
- Administrator can also have access to all sections.
- HR, Finance, and Basic levels have more limited access, enabling only sections relevant to their job roles.
- Supervisor denotes a person with team responsibilities. For example, a supervisor needs access to the "Employees" section, while a Basic employee should have access only to their own time records and requests.
Note that you can use the "Create Level" option to define permissions with specific designations, allowing you to tailor permissions for specific roles within your organization.
Step 2: Assigning Permissions to an Employee
Follow these steps to assign a permission level to an employee:
Only profiles with Owner/Administrator permission or active access with Manage Permissions can assign permissions to other profiles.
Suppose you want to assign the Administrator permission to an HR employee.
Access the "Employees" menu and click on the employee's profile to edit it.
Configure the Profile, which has three options:
- Owner (Only one user in your company can occupy this position.)
- Supervisor (Used for leaders and managers regardless of hierarchy.)
- Basic (For employees who need to clock in/out and view their own time records)
Below, you will see a checkbox list of available Permissions. Click "+ Add Permissions" to create new permissions or click on an existing one to edit it.
Specify the permission level for the specific employee, including any custom levels you created in Step 1.
Under "Can Access," configure which sections the employee can access based on the assigned permission level. Note that this is specific to this employee.
For example, if you assign the Administrator permission, this employee will have complete access to all sections available for that level.
From this point forward, the employee will have access to the sections enabled for their permission level. Note that there can be only one profile with Owner permission. To remove this permission from a profile, you must assign it to another user.
That's it! You've successfully configured permission levels in Day.io, which will help you manage access and functions within your organization. If you have further questions or need assistance, please contact Day.io Support team via chat.